1. Sign up for news, events and more!

You're currently visiting the official DarkRP Forums as a guest. Sign up now to participate in our community and we'll let you know when we have news.

Seperating General Problems and Development Discussion

Discussion in 'Modder General Chat' started by Fillipuster, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Fillipuster

Fillipuster Member

Hey, everyone.

This probably won't have any relevance to you if you are not a regular user of the DarkRP forum.

DarkRP is awesome. It's light, customizable and well made.
    For an awesome (and big) gamemode, a great forum is required.
    Look at Facepunch: With all the developers making stuff for GMod, a place for development discussion is priceless.
    Now, of course, we have a forum for module/addon development specific to DarkRP here, but there's a problem the way I see it.

There are two kinds of problems that people post about when it comes to DarkRP modding:

This type: http://forum.darkrp.com/threads/need-help.9059/

And this: http://forum.darkrp.com/threads/creating-a-drp-shipment-externally.9066/

I used my own example as I had a hard time finding a better example, which is exactly the problem I think this forum has.

The majority of problems that people get are due to one or more of the following things:
    • Improper set-up of configs (jobs, entities, shipments, etc...)
    • Using a module/addon that you improperly set-up.
    • Editing the core DarkRP files incorrectly or at all.
    • Fucking DarkRP up due to 300 addons that are all either leaked, outdated or made by monkies.
    The fact that the majority of posts in the Modding Help & Questions section is about problems like this, is a huge deal when a problem like mine arises. A problem where I need to expertise of people who make addons and modules for DarkRP, not of fresh-out-of-middle-school server owners.

My suggestion is simple:

Split the DarkRP Modding Questions & Help section into two separate sections.
    One for people who are encountering errors, strange behavior, crashes and problem that are a result of any of the above-listed reason.
    Another one for people who are making an addon or module for DarkRP, and are having trouble figuring specific stuff out.

For the people who use the Facepunch forums, they did this very well:
    [​IMG]

The specifics of rules for the separate sections is not for me to decide. I'm merely proposing one possible solution to a problem I have. I don't even know if I'm alone here, or this is something several developers find annoying.

I'd love to start a debate surrounding this and see what people think. Hopefully, FPtje will stop by and share his views.

Thanks for reading. Any feedback is much appreciated, and very welcome :D

- FP

2. (FPtje) Atheos

(FPtje) Atheos Main Developer Staff Member

The people who post here about silly errors are precisely the ones who are unable to read the well thought out error messages that I put in place to tell them exactly what's wrong. The problem with these people is that they post all over the place. Seriously, I regularly find people trying to make help threads in the tutorial section, where new threads demand admin approval.

I understand your frustration about having to post in the same place as the others, but I can't think of a way to split it in such a way that the illiterate people understand where to post.

Part of that problem is that the people with the stupid errors think of themselves as developers. When you create a "developer discussion" subforum, that's where they think they should go. The same would happen if you split it between "beginner" and "advanced" developer discussion. They simply think too good of themselves.