1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign up for news, events and more!

You're currently visiting the official DarkRP Forums as a guest. Sign up now to participate in our community and we'll let you know when we have news.

100 slot GMOD DarkRP server requirements?

Discussion in 'Player General Chat' started by [DG] Dr. CookieCaster, Dec 2, 2013.

1. [DG] Dr. CookieCaster

[DG] Dr. CookieCaster Member Server Owner

Hey,

I've got a general question I'm curious of the answer to.

What would the ideal dedicated server specs be for a DarkRP server with 100 slots ideally having no lag when it has above 80 players on it.

My current server specs are:
    • CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo), 8 cores
    • RAM: 16 GB DDR3 Memory
    • HD: 1 TB Hard Drive
    • BW: 100 Mbps Unmetered*
    • Linux
    There were two different network options:
    100 MBps network port or 1GBps burstable

I was ultimately wondering if that network option would make a huge difference in the lag on the server when there are around 80 players on? Or if 100MBps is fine with those specs.

2. Colefrick

Colefrick Member

Personally i would go with the 1GBps Burst because it would increase the amount of GB's used on the servers network and using only 100mbps would slow it down a bit with 100 players.

3. KoZ

KoZ Member

Honestly it truly depends on the amount of customized stuff you have running on your server on top of how many props are being spawned at a single moment. I've run a pretty stable 60 slot server with an upkeep of 50+ people throughout the day and we only had 3GB of ram. The current specs of your machine are absolutely fine for a 100 server.

For the upload you want to look for 1gbps for just in-case. You can run 100 mbps but if you get hit with even the smallest DDoS attack then your server is def going to go down if your server doesn't have good protection. It's very common thing on Garry's Mod since little kids get mad and resort to these types of methods of getting back.

4. computer22

computer22 Community Staff Staff Member Server Owner

Server specs ain't the problem. You won't be able to handle 100 players with a stock DarkRP.

5. [DG] Dr. CookieCaster

[DG] Dr. CookieCaster Member Server Owner

Is there at all any way to make gmod use more than a single core on linux?

no super secret special way of making it use more?

6. Suspeccct

Suspeccct Member

No way possible, that is why you need the best CPU with single core performance.