1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign up for news, events and more!

You're currently visiting the official DarkRP Forums as a guest. Sign up now to participate in our community and we'll let you know when we have news.

WIP Ent:King Personal Computer

Discussion in 'DarkRP Addon & Plugin Releases' started by Scottie, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Scottie

Scottie ~ Ent:King Dev ~ Contributor

[​IMG]

To celebrate the launch of DarkRP 2.5.0, it's new website and longer existing Wiki: I am going to release a DarkRP.com exclusive add-on. It will be a fully functional Personal Computer (PC). It will be a far, far, very far exploration of the predecessor Banking Computer. It will have a beautiful GUI. Many functions mostly aimed at default DarkRP gamemode (no needed use of MySQL or other complicated add-ons). Exploiting the max use of GMOD LUA.

Planned features:
    Base Desktop
    • Desktop background that changes into a different pictures every now and then.
    • Start button with a list of available programs for the PC.
    • User bar as extention for the start button with a digital clock.
    Software
    • Notepad make (printable?) notes on your computer and save them temporarily.
    • Picture Viewer a picture viewer with a gallery of some funny GMOD photographs
    • Music Player its a PC, can't without.
    • G-Web a browser for the web. Not real web but much like the GTA IV internet: parodic pages about Garry Newman and other GMOD related things.
    • GTrilo VoIP program.
    Hardware
    • Personal Computer for the obvious.
    • Printer enables printing if near a PC.
    This will in no way reproduce PCMod. It doesn't have anywhere near the same (amazing) features. It's a very simple user-friendly, mockerish Personal Computer as a role-play accessory. I don't think I'll allow networking as it increases the complexity of the add-on. Perhaps it would be in an update depending on the popularity and result of the add-on.

Questions for you:
    1. Will the use of Windows/other OS symbols in my GUI cause copyright infringement?
    2. Why has no-one created PCmod after all the demands? Am I missing a point?
    3. Have you got any additional ideas or recommendations to this concept before I start off producing it?
    4. Will the PCmod developers chop my nuts off?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  2. Q4-Bi. R.I.P

Q4-Bi. R.I.P New Member

As it seems pcmod has been dead for a while, why would they care? Mods are mods, you both are excellant people for both realesing decents mods to the garrys mod community for free. Other than that, I'm keen to follow this project of great role-playness. Good luck :D Also a nice idea would be a voice/microphone over the computers. As long as the UI looked better than PCMod I shall be happy.

Scottie likes this.
  3. Scottie

Good point. I will try and add a 'teamspeak' application into the software list. Thanks!

Q4-Bi. R.I.P likes this.
  4. computer22

computer22 Community Staff Staff Member Server Owner

Hey Scottie, I'd not use the work 'teamspeak' though. I am pretty sure it's a trademark in many countries. :)

Bo98 likes this.
  5. Scottie

Renamed to GTtrilo. Am I allowed to use windows logos/components with copyright laws or should I create an entirely unique OS for this?

6. Bo98

Bo98 Moderator Staff Member Contributor

Scottie likes this.
  7. Scottie

8. Bo98

Yeah, I agree.

9. computer22

I'd just try and not take the original names, done. Seriously, I mean it's 'just a game'. They won't care. But better safe than sorry :p

Scottie and Bo98 like this.
  10. Scottie

True. I'll think of something original than.

11. Bo98

Doors.

Echo likes this.
  12. Steven Funke

Steven Funke Ideal-Hosting Staff Staff Member

StuviOS sound good to me.

13. Scottie

I can just imagine the replies to that on Workshop. 'Omg wtf I try spawn doors and it maek pc!!'

14. Scottie

[​IMG]

Update:
    - Base UI has been created.
    - OS takes 5 seconds to 'boot up'.
    - Taskbar with start button.
    - Power off and reset is functional.
    - Implemented a custom software reader for small client-affecting software.
    Issues:
    - Hardcode software or seperate lua for each program so it is easier to create new software (not that I think this will be popular).
    - GUI includes a screenframe or just the actual OS?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  15. computer22

Looks pretty nice. How about some settings?
    Change 'window' color, background color, name the computer, set a startpage?
    I think people like to change such stuff.

Scottie likes this.
  16. Scottie

Yesss much more coming

17. Scottie

[​IMG]
    UPDATE:
    First base application: notepad, is fully functional and operating smoothly. More expansion soon to be expected.

18. computer22

Looks pretty cool already.

Scottie likes this.
  19. ToXIc Gaming

ToXIc Gaming New Member

This Looks Amazing, I cant Wait Until its Released, Could u maybe put a Github Repository for it.
    So We Can Take A look at it while you Update it.

20. Scottie

No, sorry. I hate GIThob. But I will put a server online with all my addons so you can view them.