1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign up for news, events and more!

You're currently visiting the official DarkRP Forums as a guest. Sign up now to participate in our community and we'll let you know when we have news.

Some suggestions about DarkRP gamemode

Discussion in 'Player General Chat' started by # VALERY, Dec 4, 2018.

1. # VALERY

# VALERY Member

1. Darkrpmodification v. 2
    We actually can avoid a lot of problems just by creating ingame configuration menu. How many times you see theards like "help me I'm was creating my jobs and it throws me an error!". And the fix was that there was one same command for two different jobs...

2. Remove FAdmin from DarkRP
    We are not in 2014. Every server is filled by devs in their own way. More than half servers is using only ULX admin mode and reason why somebody is keep FAdmin on server is scoreboard. Release FAdmin as darkrp module that people can download from github (scoreboard should be stay as deafult)

3. Delete workarounds and create for them modules
    upload_2018-12-4_22-21-4.png
    I'm now using APAnti, my map isn't downtown why I should have this fixes in gamemode (and all other like that stuff)? Release them as modules that people can download and let them decide what they want to fix, and what not

Next things I'm do not want to even explain ;d
    4. Rename all darkrp sweps with prefix darkrp_ (darkrp_keys, darkrp_base etc)
    5. Delete these text files from github page (everyone knows that you should not touch the core)
    6. Remove non popular modules and release them on github (afk, events, sleep, tipjar, darkrpmessages, playerscale, fadmin)
    7. No more versions (only last changes on github page)
    8. General improvements (energy -> hunger, no civil protection this should be called police)
    9. Other languages!
    10. Still not understand why you are using 4 spaces instead of 1 tab in gamemode code.

2. (FPtje) Atheos

(FPtje) Atheos Main Developer Staff Member

Great to see feedback like this!
    I agree that it works, but this is something a third party addon can do quite easily. They would store the config stuff in some database and create the jobs in the right hooks. A third party addon can probably do it better than me, since I'm not willing to put much time into it.
    FAdmin is in DarkRP for the scoreboard, mostly. 2014 (I think) was actually the time when FAdmin was more of a separate addon. Nowadays it's more integrated into DarkRP, and it doesn't really have a function elsewhere, so the addon version pretty much died out. FAdmin can easily be disabled in disabled_defaults. I don't think it's too much of a burden anyway, with CAMI it's compatible with other admin mods.
    The point of the workarounds is that they're on by default. Though it could be a very good idea to allow people like you to disable them. With map checks you don't have to worry about them being "active" even if you're running a different map. They won't burden your server.
    I'll look into creating the ability to disable them!
    This will break stuff! Addons depend on DarkRP weapons being named as they are. Changing them would seriously break stuff, and the benefit wouldn't be that big! Even worse, I vaguely remember custom weapons being called similar to your suggestion. I don't know what will happen on name conflicts, but it can't be good.
    There's a reason I recorded http://corefiles.darkrp.eu. It was a serious problem. I don't want it to start being a serious problem again.
    They're not as unpopular as you'd think. This would just piss people off. People who run the workshop version of DarkRP for example would restart their server and find that stuff suddenly gone.
    Besides, removing it serves no purpose besides changing the default "disabled" status and making it harder to enable it. I can understand that YOU don't like it, but you shouldn't be forcing that opinion onto other people who already have the current package installed.
    These modules belong to the default DarkRP experience.
    This might actually be a good idea. The version number has been meaningless for years. I'll look into it.
    Civil Protection, Mob boss, Hobo, those names are DarkRP's core identity. They should not change.
    There's great support for other languages, and it's being used tons by many servers, particularly French ones! Why should I maintain other languages?
    Consistent viewing of code across all viewers. Tabs represent a certain amount of spaces. How many, though, depends on the editor. Some editors, like Sublime and Atom, decide that one tab equals 4 spaces. To me, this makes most sense. However, in other very popular editors, like vi, Emacs and even the GitHub code view, tabs are 8 spaces wide. For regular code indentation the difference isn't that noticeable, but when you start aligning things (like aligning the =-signs of a bunch of variable declarations or in a table declaration), shit starts looking seriously messed up.
    Since spaces as tabs is actually a recommendation in many of the other languages I program in, and the inconsistency with how many spaces a tab is supposed to be wide, I figured using spaces gives a more consistent view on the code.
    You shouldn't be having trouble here. If you contribute, your editor should detect that the files are indented using spaces. My intent is not to make it harder to contribute.

Also the disk usage difference is negligible.

3. # VALERY

# VALERY Member

Well. Thank you for your answer, if you don't mind we will continue this talk tomorrow ;)

Now I'm need a help: I'm working on new HUD and i'm currently working on vote vgui. Is there somehow for me to change it visual? For example, doors can be changed using hook but vote isn't. Is there way to put it in InitPostEntity or something like that?

4. (FPtje) Atheos

# VALERY likes this.
  5. # VALERY

# VALERY Member

This is a damn great.
    Can you say how DarkRP.createQuestion works? I'm just need a console command that will request test vote for myself.

6. (FPtje) Atheos

7. # VALERY

# VALERY Member

I'm talking about not third party addon. I'm talking about you or me or someone else create new darkrpmodification and you put it on github + workshop page with url to download darkrpmod v2 and forget about people trying to get help here with their job code.

FAdmin could be released as DarkRP extension only. And scoreboard is thing that should stay in DarkRP core with CAMI for other admin mods (ULX for example). I guess I'm just need to get clean darkrp to customize :D

It was a problem then you change from 2.5.0 to 2.6.0, but this is different time now, everyone already know that you should not edit core files.

I mean there's no real reason for you to not add other languages default ones. Some people will disagree with some translations but this is ok. Isn't that great then you download gamemode whitch is already translated on your language?

You what is keep Garry's Mod alive? RP gamemodes, without them Garry's Mod will be a game with 1,5K-2K online players per month.

8. Bo98

Bo98 Moderator Staff Member Contributor

Personally I think it would be better to add hooks. Net/umsg to me is something I think only the internals of DarkRP should be concerned with. It's not documented as API and recommending it also restricts the ability to be able to ever modify what is in each message without backwards compatibility concerns. Changes like this and this are obvious examples of replacing the entire message while this is an example of reorganising what each message contains. All would have had backwards compatibility concerns if they were documented as API.

9. (FPtje) Atheos

I definitely agree, but for the current usermessages it's too late. There already are many vote this customisation mods. Through lack of proper hooks, usermessages already were the API, whether we like it or not.

I'll respond to the other post later
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 8, 2018 at 1:07 PM ---
    That's exactly the same as a third party addon, except that I would be making it. I'm not making it.
    That's the thing, though. The scoreboard IS FAdmin. The rest of FAdmin is just the backend and chat commands for everything the scoreboard can do.
    Demonstrably false:
    https://forum.darkrp.com/threads/ho...-with-weapons-cant-be-drops.10839/#post-40609
    There IS a real reason: the fact that it's my responsibility to maintain them. It means for every feature I write (or someone writing a PR writes), I'm responsible for translating it. Instead of just writing the feature, I'd have to organise getting people to help me translate messages.
    Let translations be done by people who are fluent in the language they're translating DarkRP to. Languages are perfect third party addon features. Them being in DarkRP itself would stagnate development.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 8, 2018 at 1:31 PM ---
    I just looked into it. Shit will probably break if I just remove the version. I can probably change it to an arbitrary string, it's already "workshop" in the workshop version. What I can do is remove it from the scoreboard. That's pretty much the only place where it was shown. The version is now pretty much invisible.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 1:31 PM